The Laws that govern the protection of your Personal Data
LearningKing is committed to make sure your personal data stays private and secure. We’re proud to uphold the tenets of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- LearningKing is the data controller of your personal information.
Our Privacy Promise to You, the Learner
With regards to your data, we will constantly strive to:
- Be Lawful, Fair, Transparent
We will process your personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to you.
- Limit Purpose of Data Collection
The data we collect about you is only for a specific, explicit and legitimate purpose: namely to give you a better experience on the platform. And we will not process it any more than necessary or in a manner that is incompatible with this purpose.
- Minimize Data
The data we collect about you is adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary. No asking about your race, or sexual orientation here, we don’t need to know any of this!
- Be Accurate
We will strive to keep your data accurate and up to date.
- Limit Storage of Data
We limit the time we keep your data for. If your account is deleted (because you leave your company, or because you ask us to), the data we have about you will only be kept for a month (as a backup) until it is permanently deleted. We keep logs of your activity for a little while longer, but once your account is deleted this data is untraceable back to you.
- Keep Data Confidential
We keep your data safe.
This includes protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical and organisational measures.
- Be Accountable
We are responsible for, and able to demonstrate our compliance with the GDPR.
What Personal Information We Collect
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with LearningKing. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
We don’t share your personal information with anyone, except to the response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements or to protect our rights.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including: Personal information during account creation, profile data, Course data, membership payment details, Instructor payment details, study discussion forums, social media links, online surveys and promotions, contact forms, and support requests
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
Automatically Collected Data
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
- System data: Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”).
- Usage Data: Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).
- Approximate Geographic Data: An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.
The data listed above is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the “Cookies” section below. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
What We Use Your Data For
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
- Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features;
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information and in-app messages about your progress in courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
- Sending push notifications to your wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages (which you can manage from the “options” or “settings” page of the mobile app);
- Manage your account preferences;
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse;
- Solicit feedback from users;
- Market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by LearningKing;
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers;
- Identify unique users across devices;
- Tailor advertisements across devices;
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyze trends and traffic, track orders, and track usage data;
- In the event of Advertising the Services on third-party websites and applications;
- As required or permitted by law; or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public, or our Services.
Who We Share Your Data With
We share certain data about you with instructors, other students, companies performing services for us, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Your Instructors:We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with instructors or teaching assistants for courses you enroll in or request information about, so they can improve their courses for you and other students. This data may include things like your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to LearningKing, and your activities on LearningKing. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too. We will not share your email address with instructors or teaching assistants.
- With Other Students and Instructors:Depending on your settings, your shared content and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor or teaching assistant, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable by other users depending on your settings.
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents:We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, marketing and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- With Business Partners:We have agreements with other websites and platforms to distribute our Services and drive traffic to LearningKing.
- With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services:As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics, we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, Usage Data, or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytics services or match your data with publicly-available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customized manner.
- To Administer Promotions and Surveys:we may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
- For Advertising:If we decide to offer advertising in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools, and to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience (through behavioral advertising) and undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. Options for opt out will be availed.
- For Security and Legal Compliance:We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law;
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid request;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of LearningKing, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
- During a Change in Control:If LearningKing undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organization during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
- After Aggregation/De-identification:we can disclose or use aggregate or de-identified data for any purpose.
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it’s important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
LearningKing takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and LearningKing, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact [email protected] with any concerns.
You have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection of your data by certain analytics providers. You can update or terminate your account from within our Services, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data. Parents who believe we’ve unintentionally collected personal data about their underage child should contact us for help deleting that information.
Your Choices About the Use of Your Data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or by changing the email preferences in your account. Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
- If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us at [email protected]
Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your personal data that LearningKing collects and maintains as follows:
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account:
- If you are a student, visit your profile settings page and follow the steps detailed therein.
- If you are an instructor, follow the steps provided
- If you have any issues terminating your account, email us at [email protected].
To request to access, correct, or delete your personal data, email [email protected] or write to us at LearningKing Academy, Plot 36 Stretcher Road, Ntinda, Kampala – Uganda. Please allow up to 30 days for a response. For your protection, we may require that the request be sent through the email address associated with your account, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we retain certain data where we have a lawful basis to do so, including for mandatory record-keeping and to complete transactions.
Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Children under 13 (or under 16 in the European Economic Area) should not use the Services. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents who believe that LearningKing may have collected personal data from a child under those ages can submit a request that it be removed to [email protected]
Updates & Contact Info
When we make a material change to this policy, we’ll notify users via email, in-product notice, or another mechanism required by law. Changes become effective the day they’re posted. Please contact us via email or postal mail with any questions, concerns, or disputes.